Thursday, September 10, 2009

FootColumn: *Be generous with Compliments and Stingy with Critisism*

Hey all you fellow Switchfoot fans. I would like to introduce myself. My name is Bleah Briann and I am the newest author for...well this blog. :)

I've been blogging since January first of this year but just recently did I get a spot to be a columnist on this blog. So anywho, I will be giving you my personal opinion on anything Switchfoot related, and since its only appropriate for whats been going around lately, I'll give you my report on the new single, Mess of Me.


When I heard "Mess of Me," I was taken back, but I shouldn't have been surprised. Switchfoot is different from any other band I've been able to find, by that I mean, their lyrics. They're certainly not scared to tell people what they really think, how they really feel, or their opinion on the condition of the world today. I find that completely refreshing. And MOM spoke so true to me. Yeah its different, maybe a little bit more on the rock side of Switchfoot, something we don't see all too often. But that's who they are. Are we really going to ask them to put themselves in a box because we don't want them to change? I think that would be selfish of us, and I personally want to see every angle of that band. So back to what I think of the song...I think its phenomenal, and I think that anyone who says otherwise needs to go listen to it again.

The heart of these people are so sincere. Here's what I'm going to leave you with today. Just take a look on how Jon Foremans heart was touched by the suffering of others:

We arrived home in San Diego early this morning, back from a run of shows up the coast with Switchfoot. The sun is setting over the pacific and my hair is still wet from an evening surf. In the distance I can hear the whistle of the Amtrak from LA heading south. I'm grateful to be home, grateful to have a place to live, grateful to have been given another breath alive on this planet. But today my thoughts are divided, split between two worlds. As the sun sets over California it begins to rise over Darfur. The same sun. The same planet. Can it be possible that right now, two and a half million people are waking up in camps and refugee camps having been driven from their homes by violent means? Under the same sun, could it be true that almost half a million people have died of starvation, violence, and disease over the past six years in Darfur? Is this true?! And if this is true, why has the media remained almost completely silent on the issue? Why has our government maintained it's current stance of inaction? When presidential hopeful Obama was running for office he stated that "We can't ignore the genocide in Darfur. The international community can't turn a blind eye when children are being slaughtered and women are being raped. We have to do everything in our power to make it stop. We have to act. Now." Nothing has happened. And yet the sun is still rising over Darfur. And the sun still rises over me. And the sun still rises over capital hill... the same sun. Today we celebrate mother's day with our moms and grandmothers. My thoughts drift overseas to the mother who is just now waking up, wondering whether she'll be able to give her children anything to eat. Tomorrow I begin a three day fast for Darfur. Why fast? Because quite frankly, I can't think of a better idea. I reckon the best way to enter into the suffering of a group of people halfway around the world is to start with the basics. These folks are fasting without alternative, for three days I will fast with them.

Isn't that amazing? Like I said these people aren't just singers, they aren't just a great band. They're people, people like you and me. People with hearts...

No comments: